This skirt I made with an altered version of this pattern of Skirt A. I used a t-shirt for the fabric. There is no elastic in the waistband, but that certainly would help it stay on a little better.
The skirt goes very well with the Disneyland T-shirt!
A view of the skirt’s waistband…
My blog count has reached over 5,000 views! Wow!
This black skirt I made from Simplicity 4297. I believe it is Skirt A. The fabric is stretchable in 4 directions. I bought it as a remnant. I made the skirt to try out the pattern a little bit more, and I made this skirt fully lined. It has a waistband, although you can’t see it in the photos. I may list skirts made from this pattern in my Etsy shop when I open.
The stockings are up-cycled from a human sock. On the doll, the socks are knee highs and look very warm and thick.
There is snow on the ground and the air is cold, but I just had to make a summery hair clip for my dolls. I made a simple pink flower one, and then made this one:
The green and blue flowers are actually soft paper embellishments, from Prima. Therefore, this sort of clip wouldn’t work for small children but for photos and such it’s sweet 🙂 I simply hot glued the two flowers together, then glued a small rhinestone to cover the hole the flowers have in the center. These holes are for scrap booking brads to go through. I could have used a brad to cover the hole, but the rhinestone adds a bit more to the look than a brad would. After the flowers were all put together, I glued them to a one inch alligator clip. Voila! Great accessory for summer dresses!
Today I want to share some pictures of one of the few articles of clothing that I have bought for my dolls. In fact, other than shoes, this is the only article of clothing I have ever bought for my AG dolls.
Interestingly, when I got this dress I didn’t even own an American Girl Doll! I did have an Our Generation doll, however. I was on vacation in Hawaii, and the hotel I was staying at had a booth in the lobby one day. The booth was selling dresses for 18″ dolls. I don’t remember how much this dress cost, nor if there were other color options.
Anyway, here’s some pics!
I tried out a pony tail hairdo on Rebecca’s curly hair. When her hair is down, it hides her face.
I wanted to make a t-shirt that would fit a boy doll today. Boy dolls can fit in girl t-shirts, but they are form fitting and it doesn’t look very boyish. I took this free pattern, and made some changes to it! I lengthened the sleeves, and changed the pieces of the top to go straight, not curve with the cloth body. I also changed the sleeve piece to allow for a baggier sleeve.
This shirt is up-cycled and pressed to get any wrinkles out.
I decided to try out this Toms style shoe pattern for Kidz n Cats Dolls since the only shoes my Kidz doll has are the boots she came in. I had some leftover brown wool, and had bought some craft foam in the case that I wanted to make shoes. These were relatively simple to make. Unfortunately, for some reason unknown to me, the shoes ended up being too big! Hmmm. I wonder what happened… (Pictures of the shoes are below)
Anyway, my Etsy shop, that will be opening soon, is beginning to form! I’ve got some items ready to be listed as soon as I open. I created a website for my shop and the link will be posted here soon. The website has a sneak peek of what I will be offering!
This dress was made from an altered version of this dress pattern for free here. It is designed as a one-strap dress, but to make a two sleeved version of it, I cut the fabric on a fold with the center of the pattern on the fold, so when I am done I have two straps! I didn’t use a pattern for the skirt. For some reason almost every time I make a dress for my Kidz n Cats doll, I don’t have enough fabric to make the skirt as long as I would like. I was already planning on overlaying the plain cornflower blue cotton with the blue chiffon. When I realized the cotton would be shorter than planned, I made the chiffon overlay longer to make the dress more appropriate. The result isn’t quite ideal, but that’s okay. Both fabrics I got from the remnant section of the fabric stores I shop at. The bodice is self-lined with white cotton. Also, this shade of blue isn’t exactly an Easter blue, but it matches her eyes well.
Now all three of my girl dolls have Easter dresses. Planning ahead!
I did a sepia effect on accident for this one and kept it 🙂
When she’s sitting, she can completely hide behind her long golden hair.
I came across four plastic disposable cups that are small enough for dolls! They can hold them with the help of tiny elastic bands. The tiny elastic bands are actually rubber bands that are used during orthodontic treatment! These bands are perfect for doll hair because they are small and clear. They are also useful for attaching something to a doll’s hand.
Yesterday I made another dress from the Lisianthus Dress pattern on Pixie Faire! This time it’s in a floral-y yellow fabric.
The skirt on this one is slightly different. Once again I didn’t have a piece of fabric 37″ long (as the pattern requires), therefore I was compelled to make the skirt less gathered.
I did the sleeve cuffs the correct way this time around. 🙂
The headband is from Hair Hardware and it is designed for 18″ dolls. I bought the 12 pack, which was $4.10. If you sign up for their newsletter you can get a 10% off coupon as well. The headband fits perfectly, and is flexible. I wrapped it in the same fabric as the dress, securing it with hot glue as I went. The inside raw edges I covered up with a strip of ribbon, also hot glued in place.
The doll didn’t have shoes to go with her dress (oops), so she wore her favorite glittery tennis shoes.
The bodice of the dress.
The back closes with soft Velcro.
The dress is fully lined. Both the girls together in their new Lisianthus dresses!