Today I want to share some pictures of one of the few articles of clothing that I have bought for my dolls. In fact, other than shoes, this is the only article of clothing I have ever bought for my AG dolls.
Interestingly, when I got this dress I didn’t even own an American Girl Doll! I did have an Our Generation doll, however. I was on vacation in Hawaii, and the hotel I was staying at had a booth in the lobby one day. The booth was selling dresses for 18″ dolls. I don’t remember how much this dress cost, nor if there were other color options.
Anyway, here’s some pics!
I tried out a pony tail hairdo on Rebecca’s curly hair. When her hair is down, it hides her face.
I wanted to make a t-shirt that would fit a boy doll today. Boy dolls can fit in girl t-shirts, but they are form fitting and it doesn’t look very boyish. I took this free pattern, and made some changes to it! I lengthened the sleeves, and changed the pieces of the top to go straight, not curve with the cloth body. I also changed the sleeve piece to allow for a baggier sleeve.
This shirt is up-cycled and pressed to get any wrinkles out.
Before it got dark, I went down to the beach across the street to grab some photos of my dolls. Actually, these are all of Rebecca, because by the time my other AG doll showed up, it was dark.
How I made the shirt, and what pattern I used can be found here. The tights and skirt explanation are here. The cardigan I upcycled from a tank top, using this great tutorial on Pixie Faire. My cardigan didn’t really turn out as expected in two ways. It is too big and the sleeves are too long. I think this may be because I used a universal needle on knit fabric, therefore the fabric stretched.
I used a universal needle because I thought I didn’t have a ballpoint. Upon looking through the accessories that arrived with my sewing machine, I found a needle that didn’t look like a universal one. Later, I went online to see if I could buy a ballpoint needle. I found my sewing machine and looked at the list of accessories it comes with. The strange needle I had found was exactly what I needed! Now I can sew knit fabric properly!
The shoes are also special, bought from Sophia’s. I customized these, and will show how I did this in a later post.