Monthly Archives: December 2014
Before it got dark, I went down to the beach across the street to grab some photos of my dolls. Actually, these are all of Rebecca, because by the time my other AG doll showed up, it was dark.
How I made the shirt, and what pattern I used can be found here. The tights and skirt explanation are here. The cardigan I upcycled from a tank top, using this great tutorial on Pixie Faire. My cardigan didn’t really turn out as expected in two ways. It is too big and the sleeves are too long. I think this may be because I used a universal needle on knit fabric, therefore the fabric stretched.
I used a universal needle because I thought I didn’t have a ballpoint. Upon looking through the accessories that arrived with my sewing machine, I found a needle that didn’t look like a universal one. Later, I went online to see if I could buy a ballpoint needle. I found my sewing machine and looked at the list of accessories it comes with. The strange needle I had found was exactly what I needed! Now I can sew knit fabric properly!
The shoes are also special, bought from Sophia’s. I customized these, and will show how I did this in a later post.
Friendship bracelets are great accessories, especially for a doll! This anklet I made with lime green and hot pink craft thread. It is 4 inches long, and attaches with a loop and knot. The anklet is six knots wide. Here is a good tutorial to make one. It is quick, simple and cute!
I’ve looked at a lot of different ways folks have tamed their doll’s crazy hair. Whether it’s mats, dryness, or whatever. A few examples: a downy dunk, mildly straightening, braid spray, and dipping in hot water.
I boiled some water in a pot. Before putting my dolls hair in it, I let it cool for about 10 minutes. I separated the hair into two sections, and dipped it about 2 inches in. I held it in there for about 2 minutes. After removing it from the water, I combed it out and let it dry.
At first, I thought it didn’t work. Immediately upon touch it (after dried), I could feel a difference.
It is much more soft to the touch, as well as to the eye, now! Although it did kind of cause a flippy-do in the back (hot water can lessen the effect of curls or waves). You may notice in the before pictures, the hair kind of curves inwards. This is somewhat removed now. I don’t mind. Her hair is straight, after all. I am glad I did it!
On Pinterest I have seen a lot of ruffly t-shirt dresses for dolls. When I realized that each time I saw one I repinned it to my “Sewing Ideas” board, I decided I’d better make one! I used this t-shirt pattern, with the 3/4 sleeve variation. I made no alterations to the pattern.
For the skirt part, I cut rectangles about 2″x20″ and 2 1/2″x20″. I gathered them separately, then attached with a finishing stitch to the top. I didn’t hem the edges on the skirt. All other seams are finished, besides the one that attaches the sleeves to the body.
If I were to do it again (which I probably will do in a different fabric), I would remove the hem allowance from the t-shirt before attaching the skirt. On this dress, the skirt begins a bit lower than I would like.
The cold air continues to remind me that it’s winter, and I should be making warm clothes for my dolls. In light of that, I tried out a specific pattern from JenWrenne. The pattern is free and can be downloaded here. The link to the PDF is about halfway down. The file is called “Mix and Match Week 2”.
It was simple to put together. The back closes with Velcro, and there is a small hole in the hood making it is easier to get the head in when unVelcroed. I found this interesting. My Kidz Sophie doll has a lot of hair, making it kind of weird to be wearing a hood with tons of hair coming out the side. I realized that if I put her hair in a low pony, it could slip through the hole and everything would be normal! I don’t think I have a picture of this though.
I made the white and grey fingerless gloves using this tutorial. I used adult sized mittens. The raw edges of where I cut are threatening to fray, so I handle these gently.