At first I thought I would make a pair of red shoes for the dress out of the extra fabric I had, but I think shoes are hard to make. I discovered from Say Hello To My Little Friends about Tree House Studio doll shoes sold at Hobby Lobby. I went to see if the particular Hobby Lobby store I go to carried them. They had about 12 different pairs! Also, I was pleased to find that they were only $5. I bought the red sparkly flats to go with my Thoroughly Modern Millie Halloween dress. They aren’t exactly 1920s period shoes, on the other hand they are red and AG dolls can’t wear 1920s high heels anyway.
They fit my American Girl Doll great! I didn’t expect them to fit my Kidz n Cats doll, however I tried them on for kicks. They are obviously not designed for Kidz dolls. Like I said, I didn’t expect them to, so it’s okay!
I am quite pleased with the inexpensive foot covering for AG. I will probably definitely buy more pairs in the future. As long as the shoe stays intact, I am not too concerned by quality in general. They do not have to be practical – they are for a doll! – , they just need to look the part. That’s the way I see it.
I have completed the dress for my AG Doll’s Millie Dillmount costume! The dress is inspired by the Thoroughly Modern Millie Broadway poster. Thoroughly Modern Millie (the musical) was based on the 1967 film by the same name starring Julie Andrews as Millie. The musical rendition of the film opened on Broadway in 2002, starring Sutton Foster as Millie. The show won 6 Tony Awards and ran for 903 performances with 32 previews.
The costume will eventually consist of the dress, shoes, necklace and possibly headband. This is part one!
To make the basic shape of the dress, I used this tutorial. After cutting the fabric, I cut the armholes 1/4 inch all the way around, and lowered the neckline.
The length was perfect for this 1920s flapper dress. When using this tutorial for nowadays outfits, leggings underneath would be most appropriate 🙂
The inside lining is a smooth fabric, which I forget the name of at the moment. The outside of the dress is 2mm sequin fabric. The red poly chain fringe was 4″ long when I bought it, but I cut it down to 2″. Each row of fringe is 1 and 3/4 inch below the last, allowing the rows to overlap slightly. I used about 55 inches of this fringe. I bought 1.5 yards, and used almost all of it.
The back closes with Velcro.
Scroll down for more pictures!
Back of dress
Front of dress