This skirt I made with an altered version of this pattern of Skirt A. I used a t-shirt for the fabric. There is no elastic in the waistband, but that certainly would help it stay on a little better.
The skirt goes very well with the Disneyland T-shirt!
A view of the skirt’s waistband…
My blog count has reached over 5,000 views! Wow!
This black skirt I made from Simplicity 4297. I believe it is Skirt A. The fabric is stretchable in 4 directions. I bought it as a remnant. I made the skirt to try out the pattern a little bit more, and I made this skirt fully lined. It has a waistband, although you can’t see it in the photos. I may list skirts made from this pattern in my Etsy shop when I open.
The stockings are up-cycled from a human sock. On the doll, the socks are knee highs and look very warm and thick.
There is snow on the ground and the air is cold, but I just had to make a summery hair clip for my dolls. I made a simple pink flower one, and then made this one:
The green and blue flowers are actually soft paper embellishments, from Prima. Therefore, this sort of clip wouldn’t work for small children but for photos and such it’s sweet 🙂 I simply hot glued the two flowers together, then glued a small rhinestone to cover the hole the flowers have in the center. These holes are for scrap booking brads to go through. I could have used a brad to cover the hole, but the rhinestone adds a bit more to the look than a brad would. After the flowers were all put together, I glued them to a one inch alligator clip. Voila! Great accessory for summer dresses!
Today I want to share some pictures of one of the few articles of clothing that I have bought for my dolls. In fact, other than shoes, this is the only article of clothing I have ever bought for my AG dolls.
Interestingly, when I got this dress I didn’t even own an American Girl Doll! I did have an Our Generation doll, however. I was on vacation in Hawaii, and the hotel I was staying at had a booth in the lobby one day. The booth was selling dresses for 18″ dolls. I don’t remember how much this dress cost, nor if there were other color options.
Anyway, here’s some pics!
I tried out a pony tail hairdo on Rebecca’s curly hair. When her hair is down, it hides her face.
I wanted to make a t-shirt that would fit a boy doll today. Boy dolls can fit in girl t-shirts, but they are form fitting and it doesn’t look very boyish. I took this free pattern, and made some changes to it! I lengthened the sleeves, and changed the pieces of the top to go straight, not curve with the cloth body. I also changed the sleeve piece to allow for a baggier sleeve.
This shirt is up-cycled and pressed to get any wrinkles out.
This dress was made from an altered version of this dress pattern for free here. It is designed as a one-strap dress, but to make a two sleeved version of it, I cut the fabric on a fold with the center of the pattern on the fold, so when I am done I have two straps! I didn’t use a pattern for the skirt. For some reason almost every time I make a dress for my Kidz n Cats doll, I don’t have enough fabric to make the skirt as long as I would like. I was already planning on overlaying the plain cornflower blue cotton with the blue chiffon. When I realized the cotton would be shorter than planned, I made the chiffon overlay longer to make the dress more appropriate. The result isn’t quite ideal, but that’s okay. Both fabrics I got from the remnant section of the fabric stores I shop at. The bodice is self-lined with white cotton. Also, this shade of blue isn’t exactly an Easter blue, but it matches her eyes well.
Now all three of my girl dolls have Easter dresses. Planning ahead!
I did a sepia effect on accident for this one and kept it 🙂
When she’s sitting, she can completely hide behind her long golden hair.
I set a side a new place to photograph my dolls, that is large enough to include all four of them, as well as a piece of furniture or two. I shot some photos of the dolls in their new-ish environment, trying out different furniture arrangements. The girls are playing with toys 🙂
My Kidz n Cats doll is wearing her flannel winter jammies (made by me), she likes to wear them all day.
My Rebecca doll is wearing her Red Ruffle Jumper outfit. (Made by me)
My other AG doll is wearing a pair of jeans made from the Liberty Jane pattern. Her shoes are made from duct tape. You can read about them here. The sweatshirt I’m not going to say yet, but it’s related to something very exciting!
The OG boy is wearing Bitty Twins jeans, his boots I made, and the shirt is here.
This one got new fuzzy socks to go with her dress 🙂
He’s working on his Christmas chocolate. Can you see?
Just a few pictures of the most recent snowfall.
Before it got dark, I went down to the beach across the street to grab some photos of my dolls. Actually, these are all of Rebecca, because by the time my other AG doll showed up, it was dark.
How I made the shirt, and what pattern I used can be found here. The tights and skirt explanation are here. The cardigan I upcycled from a tank top, using this great tutorial on Pixie Faire. My cardigan didn’t really turn out as expected in two ways. It is too big and the sleeves are too long. I think this may be because I used a universal needle on knit fabric, therefore the fabric stretched.
I used a universal needle because I thought I didn’t have a ballpoint. Upon looking through the accessories that arrived with my sewing machine, I found a needle that didn’t look like a universal one. Later, I went online to see if I could buy a ballpoint needle. I found my sewing machine and looked at the list of accessories it comes with. The strange needle I had found was exactly what I needed! Now I can sew knit fabric properly!
The shoes are also special, bought from Sophia’s. I customized these, and will show how I did this in a later post.