Tag Archives: Clothes
My dolls appreciate anything Disney to wear! This Buzz Lightyear t-shirt I upcycled from a boys Toy Story graphic t-shirt. I used the this pattern from Simply Sweet and Sewn.
The matching green leggings are made with an altered version of this pattern from Sew Adollable.
The shoes are American Girl JLY purple flats.
I up-cycled this hoodie from a human boy hoodie, and made it almost identical to the big version! I altered this pattern, using Sweatshirt F. I used the back pattern pieces as the front.
This skirt is made from the Liberty Jane Mini Skirt pattern. I up-cycled the skirt from cargo pants. The skirt is rather tight-fitting around the waist. I think this may be due to the weight and stretch capability of the fabric. I didn’t hem the edge, just stitched twice and pulled the strings to make a frayed edge.
The pics aren’t fantastic, because I was running out of daylight! You can still see the skirt though.
On Pinterest I have seen a lot of ruffly t-shirt dresses for dolls. When I realized that each time I saw one I repinned it to my “Sewing Ideas” board, I decided I’d better make one! I used this t-shirt pattern, with the 3/4 sleeve variation. I made no alterations to the pattern.
For the skirt part, I cut rectangles about 2″x20″ and 2 1/2″x20″. I gathered them separately, then attached with a finishing stitch to the top. I didn’t hem the edges on the skirt. All other seams are finished, besides the one that attaches the sleeves to the body.
If I were to do it again (which I probably will do in a different fabric), I would remove the hem allowance from the t-shirt before attaching the skirt. On this dress, the skirt begins a bit lower than I would like.
The cold air continues to remind me that it’s winter, and I should be making warm clothes for my dolls. In light of that, I tried out a specific pattern from JenWrenne. The pattern is free and can be downloaded here. The link to the PDF is about halfway down. The file is called “Mix and Match Week 2”.
It was simple to put together. The back closes with Velcro, and there is a small hole in the hood making it is easier to get the head in when unVelcroed. I found this interesting. My Kidz Sophie doll has a lot of hair, making it kind of weird to be wearing a hood with tons of hair coming out the side. I realized that if I put her hair in a low pony, it could slip through the hole and everything would be normal! I don’t think I have a picture of this though.
I made the white and grey fingerless gloves using this tutorial. I used adult sized mittens. The raw edges of where I cut are threatening to fray, so I handle these gently.
Being as how it is exactly 3 weeks today until Christmas, it was time for some seasonal clothes for my dolls. I made this black striped sparkle sweater using Simplicity Pattern 4297 shirt A and an “old” sweater shirt. This pattern is basically like a Baseball tee, only for thicker fabric. I also used it for this outfit to make a pink sweater. The pattern is fast and simple to put together, especially because I used the finished edges of the old sweater for all the edges of this doll sweater. Not hemming edges saves a lot of time! The pattern also involves a neckband, which I excluded when making this sweater and hemmed the neckline instead. This alteration gives the sweater a lower neckline. I took some pictures with the sleeves scrunched up to 3/4 length, and some at their normal length. They are extra long sleeves, which I think look comfortable.
Underneath the sweater my doll is actually wearing the silver leotard featured in this outfit. This is mainly due to the fact that I didn’t have any black knit stretch fabric on hand to make a spaghetti tank to wear underneath the sweater. I plan on adding a tank underneath when I have the fabric.
The skirt is two rectangles of fabric measuring about 20″ by 7″ (I’m not sure I’m just guesstimating). The two rectangles are red 2mm sequin fabric over black chiffon. The black chiffon I up-cycled from a human skirt. Although both fabrics are see through when standing alone, together they are perfectly appropriate. The black chiffon is about a fourth of an inch shorter than the red, allowing the red to hang a little longer. The two fabrics are joined at the waistband with a fold-over elastic casing. I used 10 1/2″ of black elastic.
I made the necklace by twisting white embroidery floss and tying it off. I have a Christmas charm bracelet that I have had for a few years and never worn. I decided it was time to make use of it and took off this snowman charm and put it on the white floss. The charms are a perfect size for dolls. Necklace!
I added some leggings to the ensemble as an afterthought. These leggings were featured in this outfit.
The shoes are Tree House Studio, which are sold at Hobby Lobby. I used them in this outfit too.
Yesterday, Thanksgiving, I whipped up some leotards and shorts in some new fabric I bought from JoAnns. I had two colors, so made two leotards in each color, as well as two shorts in each color. Both outfits are for my American Girl Doll, but I put the turquoise on my Kidz doll for the sake of photography. It is obviously not made for her, as it is quite loose. These outfits could also be used as swimsuits, however, my dolls don’t swim yet 🙂
I used the pattern for the leotard found here. You may notice I used Velcro on the back. I realized afterwards I didn’t really need to do this because the fabric is so stretchy. I believe it still makes it easier to put on though. I also just hemmed all the edges, the tutorial requires using fold over elastic.
The boy cut shorts are the Liberty Jane pattern from here.
And just the leotard and no shorts:
Of course, the shorts could go with either leotard too: